Monday, February 20, 2012

James 3:13 (A Lesson for the Wise)


Welcome God now with this LIFE Group Devotion (FB), provided by LIFE Runners (FB). Upcoming Guest Authors.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show his works by a good life in the humility that comes from wisdom." ~ James 3:13 (full readings)

Rich's Reflections: In today's reading, James invites people who are supposedly wise to step forward and identify themselves. His question is a challenge for those self-proclaiming wisdom (i.e., teachers) to conduct a self-examination. Am I teaching from humility or from selfish ambition? If it is the latter, then I am even failing in the matter about which I am most proud: my grasp of truth. I taught chemistry at the Air Force Academy for 3 years and I truly enjoyed the experience. It was very fulfilling to help others in need and to get others excited about something that interested me. Unfortunately though, my motivation for teaching became focused on a departmental teaching award that consumed me and later shifted to jealousy when I did not win the award. My envy and selfish ambition were the opposite of humility. James explains that true wisdom comes from outside ourselves and from God Himself. Wisdom is humbly admitting one's needs and relying on God for the wisdom one lacks. Lord, help me to be humble so that I may understand that true wisdom only comes from You. Amen.

Faith Challenge: Show wisdom in humbly accepting the word of God in your life.


Our Prayers: Prayer to end abortion. LIFE Runners Creed. Add Prayers. Pray with meals, bedtime, wake up, etc. Consider mid-week Family Rosary (17 min). Let’s pray now.

Feast Day: St. Wulfric

Faith Quote: "When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom." - Proverbs 11:2

Through Christ our Lord,
Rich
James 1:22

* Pray/Fast: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. Fast from things that take your eyes off Jesus. Those who pray together stay together, and close to God!
* Save Unborn (& family): Abortion reality (images)…#1 death cause (22% pregnancies). Prov 24:11 & Jer 1:5. “A great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish.” Mother Teresa.
* Evangelize: Make room for unbelievers & re-evangelization of self, by way of prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of love (service/sacrifice/mercy). Mt 28:19.

No comments: