Thursday, July 7, 2011

Mark 2:29 (Sabbath walk) by Diane Overmann

Welcome God now with this LIFE Group Devotion (FB), provided by LIFE Runners (FB).

"You are not made for the Sabbath; the Sabbath is made for you.” Mark 2:29 (full readings)

Diane's Reflections: Having recently read Sabbath: Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in our Busy Lives by Wayne Muller, I am led to reflect on how God has placed so much value on slowing down and seeking the sacred. I have regarded the Commandment as meaning worshipping at Church on the Sabbath. However, this author reminded me that the Sabbath commands me to stop and harness the violence of busyness. Even when I dedicate my life to the service of others, the frantic over activity can cause suffering to others and to myself. The lack of rest and reflection can limit my ability to live in wonder and awe at the greatness of God. When I consecrate a time to listen to the still, small voices and the root of inner wisdom that makes work fruitful, my service to others will be filled with grace and all will be blessed. Sabbath is a way of being in time and remembering who I am, what I know, and to taste the gifts of the Spirit and eternity. I, then, will remember that everything is a blessing. I need to take delight in my life and the fruits of the Spirit. I need to rid myself of the feeling of guilt in taking time to rest and to be with God. I can not lead others to the kingdom of God without recognizing the kingdom of God within myself. The Creator invites me to take seriously His Commandment to step back and take a Sabbath walk...to see the sacredness of Life!
* Diane Overmann is the Faith Formation Director at St. Clare Catholic School in O’Fallon, IL. She also presents catechist classes for the Diocese of Belleville, IL.

Faith Challenge: Do you have 5 minutes each day to be silent and experience the holy in each moment?

Counter-Culture News: LifeNews, Priests for Life, AFA, Vatican, Project Rachel.

Our Prayers: Prayer to end abortion, Spiritual Adoption, Alpha Center, Peters family (JP). Add Prayers on our website. Pray with meals, bedtime, wake up, LIFE Runners, etc. Consider mid-week Family Rosary (17 min). Let’s pray now.

Feast Day: Blessed Roger Dickenson, Blessed Ralph Milner, Blessed Lawrence Humphrey (martyrs).

Faith Quote: "Dear brothers and sisters, it is not difficult to see that Sunday has an extraordinarily rich meaning." ~ Blessed John Paul II

Through Christ Our Lord,
Diane
John 21:15

* Pray/Fast: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. Fast from things that take your eyes off Jesus. Those who pray together stay together, and close to God!
* Save Unborn (& family): Abortion reality (images)…#1 death cause (22% pregnancies). Prov 24:11 & Jer 1:5. “A great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish.” Mother Teresa.
* Evangelize:Make room for unbelievers & re-evangelization of self, by way of prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of love (service/sacrifice/mercy). Matt 28:19.

Comments? To subscribe/unsubscribe to the emails, go to LIFE Group Devotions or LIFE Runners Updates.

No comments: