Friday, December 10, 2010

John 8:12 (Silent Majority)


Welcome God now with this LIFE Group Devotion (website, Facebook).

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 (full readings)

Steve's Reflections: Last night at EDGE (Lifeteen ~ youth group) I was helping lead 45 middle school youth through what conversion is and how we can be converted in little ways to Christ each day. The story of Saul's conversion was used to emphasize how powerfully God can work in someone's life. The early church's greatest earthly nemesis (Saul) became the single greatest ambassador for Christ in the Bible (Paul). In that story Christ knocks Saul off his horse with a blinding light. When reading that conversion story it begs the question of our own conversion and the fact the most of us did not get knocked off our "high horse" by a bright light and hear Jesus speaking to us. For many of us, the silent majority, it has been in the quiet of our everyday lives that we have come to know Christ through little sacrifices and little conversions. As the youth gathered in small groups to discuss, I had to retrieve something from inside the Church. It was pitch black. Being across the room from the lights I stumbled to a closet to get the item. As I turned around to return I was surprised by the brilliance of the light shining through the doorway. It struck me as I made my way toward the light how easier it was to find my way out. In that moment I reflected on my own journey stumbling in the darkness, the moment I turned from that darkness by the Light of Christ, and how God has lovingly led me over the years to that same light. I face the same dangers now as I did in the darkness, but that light has comforted me and given me hope where there was only struggle and frustration. Lord Jesus, thank you for being the light of the world and the light of my world. Illuminate the darkness that remains in my life and help me to come closer to you day by day through this Advent season.

Faith Challenge: In what ways are you "stumbling in the darkness" today? Take some time to go to confession this Advent season and experience the grace and healing of this beautiful Sacrament.

Sr. Francelle's Devotion: Our Lady of All Nations "God gave Mary to us as mother to all. Even those who do not believe in her, still she is their mother...We do not worship Mary, as we do God, we simply honor her. Mary always points us to her Son. We can go to her with any of our needs. In the Bible we read about the wedding feast of Cana when the waiters ran out of wine. They went to Mary first with their problem and she immediately told them to go to Jesus. "Do whatever He tells you," she said."

Counter-Culture News: LSN, Vatican, AFA, Priests for Life, Live Action

Our Prayers: Prayer to end abortion, Alpha Center, Peters family (JP). View, add, update Prayers on our website. Let’s pray now.

Feast Day: Blessed Adolph Kolping “Adolph Kolping gathered skilled workers and factory laborers together. Thus he overcame their isolation and defeatism. A faith society gave them the strength to go out into their everyday lives as Christ’s witnesses before God and the world." (Pope John Paul II, beatification homily)

Faith Quote: “The first thing that a person finds in life and the last to which he holds out his hand, and the most precious that he possess, even if he does not realize it, is family life.” ~ Blessed Adolph Kolping
.
Through Christ Our Lord,
Steve
Romans 12:2

* Pray/Fast: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. Fast from things that take your eyes off Jesus. Those who pray together stay together, and close to God!
* Save Unborn (& family): Abortion reality (images)…#1 death cause (23% pregnancies). Prov 24:11 & Jer 1:5. “A great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish.” Mother Teresa
* Evangelize:Make room for unbelievers & re-evangelization of self, by way of prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of love (service/sacrifice/mercy). Matt 28:19.


Comments? To subscribe/unsubscribe to the emails, go to LIFE Group Devotions or LIFE Runners Updates.

No comments: