Monday, January 17, 2011

Mark 2:22 (fresh wineskins)


Welcome God now with this LIFE Group Devotion (website, Facebook).

"No one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the wine will burst the skins, and both the wine and the skins are ruined. Rather, new wine is poured into fresh wineskins." Mark 2:22 (full readings)

Rich's Reflections: This past Christmas season, I bought a new Knights of Columbus "Keep Christ in Christmas" magnet to display on the back of my truck. Instead of just slapping it on the back of my tailgate, I decided to wash the dirt from my truck to make sure that the magnet would stick well and not scratch my vehicle. This might be a poor analogy to the parable in today's Gospel, but it makes me think about how we have to prepare ourselves to accept the Holy Spirit. A person with unrepented sins will be unable to take hold of the Holy Spirit. They may actually feel that they are being guided by the Holy Spirit, but are actually being strayed from the path of righteousness by their own sin. Confession will open our eyes and ears to the Holy Spirit. Honestly reflect on your obedience to God and adherence to His commandments by performing an examination of conscience. Repent of your sins and prepare yourself to receive the Holy Spirit for only fresh wineskins can accept new wine. O Lord, grant me light to see myself as You see me, and the grace to be truly and effectively sorry for my sins. O Mary, help me to make a good confession. Amen.

Faith Challenge: I challenge myself and you to go to confession this week so that you may be renewed and take hold of the Holy Spirit.

Counter-Culture News: LSN, Vatican, AFA, Priests for Life, Live Action

Our Prayers: Prayer to end abortion, Alpha Center, Peters family (JP). View, add, update Prayers on our website. Let’s pray now.

Feast Day: St. Anthony

Faith Quote: "Attribute to God every good that you have received. If you take credit for something that does not belong to you, you will be guilty of theft." -St Anthony

Through Christ our Lord,
Rich
James 1:22

* Pray/Fast: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. Fast from things that take your eyes off Jesus. Those who pray together stay together, and close to God!

* Save Unborn (& family): Abortion reality (images)…#1 death cause (23% pregnancies). Prov 24:11 & Jer 1:5. “A great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish.” Mother Teresa

* Evangelize: Make room for unbelievers & re-evangelization of self, by way of prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of love (service/sacrifice/mercy). Matt 28:19.


Comments? To subscribe/unsubscribe to the emails, go to LIFE Group Devotions or LIFE Runners Updates.

No comments: